How to Join
National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution
NSSAR, The Kentucky State Society and local Chapters, like the Louisville - Thurston Chapter, are male lineage societies whose members have traced their family lineage to a Revolutionary War Patriot. You must apply through the local chapter and be accepted by the National Society, located in Louisville, KY prior to being inducted into the state society and local chapter.
SAR Application Process
The SAR has established an online process for completing an application for membership. The start of the process is to create a user account on the sar.org site. Once that has been completed, you can login and start the process of recording your information. It is a browser-driven process, so you can access it anywhere you have Internet access.
In order to start the Application process or to add a Supplemental Application:
1. Click here to register and set up an account on the SAR national website. ( If you have already registered and have an account just log in.)
2. Print a membership application worksheet to help you organize your ancestor data. Click Here
3. The following manuals can assist you in the application process (SAR) Application Preparation Manual , Genealogy Committee Policies Manual
4. Once you have your data organized, you can begin the Online Application. Click Here.
5. If you need assistance with research Click Here.
6. After filling out the Online Application, contact Chris Johnson, Registrar of the Louisville Thruston Chapter by Clicking Here, or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. When your online application is complete, the chapter registrar will verify that the application is complete and correct. All generations must be supported with valid documentation. When all is correct, a copy of the application will be printed on official SAR watermarked paper provided by the registrar.
8. The registrar will mail the completed application with signatures along with fees to the State Registrar for his approval. When he is satisfied, the application will be sent to National Headquarters for final approval by their staff genealogists.
The registrar can estimate and look up the status once an application is submitted to NSSAR.
The Louisville-Thurston Chapter Registrar
cell phone (502) 494-8152 (leave a message if I don’t answer)